The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) and Select Reserve (MGIB-SR) are other education grants for service members. These GI Bill benefits can also pay for education and training programs. Unfortunately, members cannot use these military grants for spouses or dependents.

The military must have issued an honorable discharge for service members to qualify for MGIB benefits and have a high school diploma, GED or at least 12 hours of college credits. Additionally, they must fit in one of the following four categories:

Montgomery GI Bill Education Benefits
montgomery gi bill

  • Category I – They entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, and reduced their pay by $100 per month for the first year. They must have continuously served for three years or two years if that was the enlistment agreement at the time. If they entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty, they must have served four years.
  • Category II – They entered active duty on January 1, 1977 (unless under a delayed enlistment program), served at least one day between October 19, 1984, and June 30, 1985, and remained on active duty through June 30, 1988.
  • Category III – They reduced military pay by $1,200 before separating from the military. They must have been on active duty on September 30, 1990, and involuntarily separated after February 2, 1991, or after November 29, 1993. They may also qualify if they have voluntarily separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) program or the Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program.
  • Category IV – They reduced their military pay by $100 per month for the first year or made a $1,200 lump-sum contribution. They must have also been on active duty on October 9, 1996, had money left in a VEAP account on that date, and chose MGIB before October 9, 1997. Or, they entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between July 1, 1985, and November 28, 1989, and chose MGIB between October 9, 1996, and July 9, 1997.

Qualifying military members usually have 10 years from their separation date to apply for education benefits. Those who served for three years or more can receive up to $2,150 each month for full-time training at an institution. Service members whose enlistment was shorter or are going to school for less than full-time. 

With these veteran education grants, the VA will give beneficiaries a monthly payment for up to 36 months. The benefit amount depends on service length, the education program, and their category (see below). If they paid into the $600 Buy-Up program or qualify for a college kicker, they may receive more. Check out other ways beneficiaries can receive higher VA education benefits next.

By Admin