Getting Student Education Grants as a Veteran

The U.S. government provides education grants for veterans and their immediate families to thank them for their service. VA education grants can help service members start their civilian careers post-service. Grants are free money that beneficiaries do not have to repay.

The Veterans Benefits Administration is a part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). It oversees all assistance programs available to active and former service members. Find out how veterans and service members can reduce their education expenses.  

Military Education Grants From The Post-9/11 GI Bill
military education
1 of 3 Next

Several VA education grants and training benefits are available for veterans, service members, and their immediate family members. Since 1944, GI Bill benefits have assisted qualifying military members and their families afford higher education opportunities at trade schools, community colleges, four-year universities, and more.

For example, beneficiaries can put benefits towards undergraduate and graduate degrees, vocational programs, on-the-job and entrepreneurship training, flight training, and veterans technology education courses (VET TEC). These VA education benefits help pay for tuition and fees, books and supplies, housing, and transportation for up to 36 months. 

The VA will pay the full tuition for public, in-state institutions but cap benefits at $26,042 per academic year for private and foreign schools. Qualifying recipients can receive up to $1,000 per academic year for books and supplies.

The VA will cover up to $14,881 per school year for training at vocational flight school. Likewise, the department will pay up to $12,649 per academic year for correspondence schools. 

Housing allowances depend on the living costs in the location of the college. Recipients may get a one-time $500 payment to move to the school’s location. To get this payment, the recipient’s county must have six or fewer residents per square mile, and they can only fly to reach the school or are moving 500 miles or more away.

To qualify, veterans and service members must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Served at least 90 days on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 (continuously or with breaks)
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged 
  • Served for at least 30 continuous days on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability

Active-duty military and Selected Reserve members may transfer benefits to a spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense must approve the transfer of benefits, as there are several requirements and conditions. 

Veterans and service members may still receive benefits even if they do not meet the requirements for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Review the following qualifications for another VA education grant.  

1 of 3 Next

By Admin