The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) issues between $100 and $4,000 annually per student. You may meet the requirements for a Federal SEOG grant if your Expected Family Contributions are extremely low and you are pursuing an undergraduate degree.

The FSEOG grant application is the FAFSA form, and you must apply each year. Like other Pell Grants, your FAFSA will determine your EFC and grant award amount. 

Grants for Low-Income Families
grants low income families

To lower your EFC and maximize your potential grant award, consider putting investments and funds in an extended family member’s name, such as your grandparents. Similarly, make any planned large purchases before applying through FAFSA.

Other requirements include:

  • Being a U.S. citizen.
  • Completing the FAFSA form.
  • Having a significant financial need for school funding.
  • Having qualifying grades, like a 2.0 or higher GPA.
  • Pursuing your first bachelor’s degree.

The U.S. Department of Education gives each school that participates in FSEOG a limited amount of funds. The federal government provides 75 percent of the funding, and each school offers the rest. Many schools put a cap on receiving FSEOG funding because they have a 25-percent obligation. 

The school determines which students are most in need of assistance. Once the money runs out, no more students can receive FSEOG funds. The government will provide the school with less money the following year if it does not use all of the funds. 

Due to the limited funds, you should apply as early as possible. You may qualify for FSEOG but only receive grant money for the first semester if your school runs out of money before the end of the school year. Check with your school’s deadline to make sure you do not miss your opportunity. 

If you qualify for the grant, your college’s financial aid office may credit your account, give you the money directly, or both. The institution must disburse funds at least once per term, whether by quarter, semester, or trimester. 

Like other grants, you do not need to repay FSEOG in most cases. However, you may have to repay funds if you withdrew early from your program, switched from full-time to part-time enrollment status, or received other funds that reduce your need for financial aid, such as other grants or scholarships.

You will not qualify for free money from FSEOG if you are in a graduate program. The grant is only available for funding undergraduate degrees.

If you are from a military family or served, you may apply for additional grants. Even if you cannot receive funds from other grants, you may still qualify for the following grants.

By Admin